What are Flood Gates?
It might sound like an obvious question, but there are a variety of different flood defence systems that meet different requirements. Flood gates can replace ordinary gates that attach to the perimeter walls of your business site. They can also be added to spaces between walls and closed only when there is a flood risk. They can be built for pedestrian or vehicular access.
Generally, flood gates are built into the structural wall surrounding your premises to provide unbroken barrier against flood water. This provides perimeter defence against flooding, which is especially important in areas near rivers at risk of bursting their banks with heavy rainfall. Flood gates can help prevent the most serious damage to your business premises by preventing large, forceful flows of flood water onto your business site.
It is important that the perimeter walls surrounding your business site are strong enough to withstand flood water. Fast flowing flood water has a huge amount of energy and can easily damage existing walls, especially if they have already been weakened by previous flooding.
Our flood gates
1st Defence Gates are designed, manufactured and customised to your needs, whether its for heavy industrial or domestic use, our level of flood protection and quality is the same. Our range of gates are designed using the design techniques combined with stainless steel allowing them to be suitable for all situations.
- Quick and easy to install flood protection gate
- Ideal for use in coastal and inland environments
- Designed to suit project specific size requirements
- Low Maintenance
- BS EN 10025-2 : 2004 – S275JR Steel as minimum.
- Safety threshold design. All our gates have a flush threshold to prevent the need for a step to form the seal; this allows easy vehicular access for larger gates and trip free access for pedestrians.
- Fully qualified structural engineer (BEng (Hons), CEng, MIStrucE) to produce design calculations with over 30 years experience.
- Fully qualified workshop operatives with company held Weld Procedure Qualifications Records (WPQR) and Weld Procedure Specifications (WPS).
We offer a maintenance package which includes a full service. Checking the compression of the seals, the mechanism's and an overall "fit for purpose" check. The gates above have undergone a flood high alteration and a full service.